1. Post Info
      Thread 49851
      Anonymous
      No.49851
      [Shark-Raw...jpg
      - 81.92 KB
      (1280x720)
      B: /qa/R: 0

I have a discord account and am in 14 different servers, yet I have no friends and no one to talk to. Do people even make friends over discord or any other group messaging services? The people who made that server and the starting members are really the only ones who can and do talk in such places. Unless you're an extremely social person, anyone trying to butt in becomes the third, fourth or whatever-th wheel, especially if they have a lot of inside jokes/references. I like anonymous imageboards because anyone can talk to anyone and (usually) no one knows the other person. You could be having conversations in every thread and you wouldn't even know it. You could be having an argument in one thread and getting along in another thread at the same time.
      You could argue that imageboards also have inside jokes and unique culture that "newfags" will not know about, but because they're anonymous, they can trial and error as much as they want without anyone knowing how many times they failed. You can post a shit post, and if it doesn't get any traction or if you get shit on for it, you can simply disassociate yourself from it.
      Anonymity is beautiful but alas, you can't make friends from anonymity.

2. Post Info
      Thread 49852
      Anonymous
      No.49852
      1368708153...jpg
      - 20.58 KB
      (640x360)

I disagree that friends cannot be made on anonymous places. Maybe not intimate kind of friends that you know on a name-basis, but people that you feel comfortable speaking your mind around. Who you'd want to talk about stuff with. I mean, I'm pretty sure that's somewhat of a friend, no?

In that case, I consider all the anonymous posters that I recognize and /qa/ itself to be my friend.

3. Post Info
      Thread 49854
      Anonymous
      No.49854

friends grow from anonymity

4. Post Info
      Thread 49855
      Anonymous
      No.49855

maybe you're too old unironically

i have zero discord and zero friends despite being 21

5. Post Info
      Thread 49856
      Anonymous
      No.49856
      [Shark-Raw...jpg
      - 85.44 KB
      (1280x720)

>>49852
      >people that you feel comfortable speaking your mind around. Who you'd want to talk about stuff with. I mean, I'm pretty sure that's somewhat of a friend, no?
      I never looked at it that way. I always assumed you'd have to at least know each other's (pseodu)names to be friends but honestly, now that I think about it, I feel more at ease posting on /qa/ than talking with what little IRL people that know my name.
      >/qa/ itself to be my friend.
      I'd seen this thrown around here from time to time, didn't think much of it. But /qa/ is truly a group of friends.

6. Post Info
      Thread 49861
      Anonymous
      No.49861

>>49855
      >zero friends despite being 21
      Yeah, me too.

7. Post Info
      Thread 49863
      Anonymous
      No.49863

Yea that's why I hate group chats. Anyone who shows up later will always be an outsider. I used to use discord to talk 1 on 1 to a few friends but I stopped using it in favor of steam when the nig shit happened and I started getting more privacy minded. I only have 2 friends now and they both use steam anyway so it works out.

8. Post Info
      Thread 49867
      Anonymous
      No.49867
      [MoyaiSubs...jpg
      - 282.78 KB
      (1920x1080)

>>49851(OP)
      >14 different servers
      I think you're too spread out, but I don't know what kind of servers these are or how many people are in them but I don't think you'll get closer to anyone if there's so many people involved. I hate discord personally, but when I have to enter one to get information or a download I see way too many rooms that segregate people in such a way that there will never be a camaraderie or anything I'd call a community.

>>49855
      Wow, 21. One foot in the grave already…

9. Post Info
      Thread 49874
      Anonymous
      No.49874

>>49851(OP)
      This is going to sound autistic but you wanna be my fren on discord?

10. Post Info
      Thread 49875
      Anonymous
      No.49875

Literal discord kiddies…

11. Post Info
      Thread 49878
      Anonymous
      No.49878

>>49851(OP)
      >Do people even make friends over discord
      I have them in one server, but grew on them during times when a part was using Mumble+IRC and another part Skype, so I was pretty much a founding member there. In a very technical sense all of them are from a former thread on an 8chan board, but the only relic from that era is that some are still calling themselves anonNumber because Mumble forces you to come up with a unique username before joining.
      Another one is for organizing raids in Pokémon GO. While I obviously know some people in person there, it's not really for making contacts to begin with. The rest are some topic guilds (about musicians, tech stuff etc.) that I only lurk out of curiosity.

My second social circle on WhatsApp and Telegram (and the occasional meet-up on congresses) originated from a web forum that I already posted on when I was 17.

12. Post Info
      Thread 49908
      Anonymous
      No.49908

thank heavens i'm an antisocial autismo

13. Post Info
      Thread 49914
      Anonymous
      No.49914

The discord servers I’m active in either are run by people I know/knew in person or are related to vermintide. Since vermintide is a coop game it’s easy enough to talk to people on those servers as everyone has a common interest. You still get that cliche-ish behavior you mentioned but generally if you can talk about the game it’s easy enough to enter the cliche just by talking about the game.

14. Post Info
      Thread 49916
      Anonymous
      No.49916

>>49914
      It's clique anon, chliche is an oldhat kind of thing

15. Post Info
      Thread 49917
      Anonymous
      No.49917

>>49916
      oops
      this guy knows what I mean

16. Post Info
      Thread 49920
      Anonymous
      No.49920

Discord norms out

17. Post Info
      Thread 49922
      Verniy
      No.49922

Use an avatar if you want to make friends on kissu otherwise blend in as anonymous.

I only got to know people on 4chan/qa through an avatar and nickname and an anonymous IRC

18. Post Info
      Thread 49923
      V
      No.49923

meta-like discussion about the functions of discord and internet communities is fine, but swapping server info and usernames is something kissu doesn't want to encourage. This is our community right here

19. Post Info
      Thread 49933
      Anonymous
      No.49933

>>49923
      It might be acceptable to resist the nasty tendency of big sites like Discord to suck up the traffic of smaller sites, but I would hope this sort of policy doesn't get applied to things like IRC servers and usernames, or small forums. There's nothing wrong with talking to people off site, and people should be able to do so if they want to.

20. Post Info
      Thread 49963
      Anonymous
      No.49963

>>49922
      are you ignoring the steamteen chat

21. Post Info
      Thread 49965
      V
      No.49965
      bbd58b893e...png
      - 3.66 MB
      (3031x2898)

>>49963
      Kissu's inception was tied to sageru and /qa/ militantism was on rizon.
      But ultimately the use of avatars allowed for a group of friends and acquaintances to form from an anonymous community.

Steam was pretty late into the cycle after I kicked ate out of his moderator position on Sageru for banning me while I was pretending to be girl and didn't want to deal with having to ask everyone every 5 seconds about what posts I missed 10 seconds ago because I DC'd from the Internet.

22. Post Info
      Thread 49966
      Anonymous
      No.49966

>>49965
      >sageru
      hi kaipedo
      BLACKED.MOE

23. Post Info
      Thread 49967
      Anonymous
      No.49967

>>49966
      When are you going to ddos the site with your totally not fake vichan exploits

24. Post Info
      Thread 49968
      Anonymous
      No.49968

>>49967
      Why should I bother?
      >totally not fake vichan exploits
      >weeb captcha
      yeah, fuck off, kai samefagger

25. Post Info
      Thread 49969
      Anonymous
      No.49969

>>49968
      waiting for that epic vector 7 ddos behind 9 proxies

26. Post Info
      Thread 49971
      Anonymous
      No.49971
      guntopiabi...png
      - 191.83 KB
      (440x422)
    27. Post Info
      Thread 49994
      Anonymous
      No.49994

Discord is for making friends like Tinder is for serious relationships. Just share e-mails if you want to share correspondence with someone you feel a connection with. I've had that happen to me and I've done it a couple of times myself. Unfortunately, a part of those fizzled out as interests began to diverge too much from what got us sharing e-mails and the other chunk degenerated into them wanting to fuck me.

100% of them also often insisted on switching from e-mail correspondence to instant messengers without ever understanding the superiority of e-mail communication. An interesting case was a guy who was all for cutting off all avenues of instant gratification from his life to improve impulse control and learn not to fall for easy pleasure but failed to see the irony in wanting my skype.

New Reply